Roles & Responsibility:
- Plan, coordinate and execute environmental related activities under the Dzongkhag
- Coordinate and monitor cross-sectorial issues related to water, forestry and waste management
Dzongkhag Environment Committee (DEC)
- Dzongkhag Environment Committees is Competent Authority constituted as per section 44 of the National Environment Protection Act.
Duties and powers of the Dzongkhag Environment Committee:
- Dzongkhag Environment Committee is responsible for Issuance of Environmental clearance for projects listed under its competence as per Environmental Assessment Act, 2000 and its Regulation and Color coded project categorization list, 2020
- Compliance monitoring of the conditions of environmental clearance and taking necessary action for non‐compliance
- Making recommendations to the concerned Ministries, Local Governments, and/or to the Secretariat concerning any measures that need to be taken to protect the quality of the environment
Procedure for seeking an Environmental Clearance (EC)
1. New application
- Check if the project requires EC (Color coded project categorization list, 2020)
- If the proposed project is listed under the “Green Category “then the activity will not be subjected to Environmental Assessment (EA) process. However, exempted activities must obtain approvals/clearances/development consents from concerned agencies as required under relevant Legislation.
- If the proposed project is listed under the “Blue Category” then the activity shall be assessed at Initial Environmental Examination(IEE) level by Designated Competent Authority or NECS as applicable
- If the proposed project is listed under the “Red Category” the the activity will have to undergo Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA). The activities under Red list shall be reviewed by the NECS.
- If the proposed project is not listed under any of the above-mentioned categories, then the activity shall be assessed at IEE level and shall be reviewed and assessed by NECS.
Following documents are required for applying for EC (should be
applied to concern Competent Authority as per Color coded project
categorization list, 2020):
I. Application addressed to head of the concerned Competent Authority
II. Dully filled IEE form as per project
III. Design/Map/Layout plan for the proposed project
IV. Gewog Clearance
V. Public Clearance verified by concerned Local Leader
VI. Environmental Clearance processing Fee receipt (as per Fee schedules to cover the cost of Administering the Environmental Assessment Act 2000)
Upon receiving all the documents, concern official shall:
i. Review and asses project proposals for environmental clearance
ii. Conduct site visits for field verification of project proposals
iii. Conduct DEC Meeting and approve or reject the proposal
iv. Conduct Compliance monitoring of the conditions of environmental clearance
I. Application with a copy of Environmental Clearance
II. Compliance report
III. Environmental Clearance processing Fee receipt (Renewal)